Dormer Addition

ImageWeather has been a little bit of an issue over the past few days.  Rain intermittently, which means having to put the tarp on and off if I want to make progress.  Luckily, we had a really nice day on Saturday and we got the outside walls up.  

Two of my friend stopped by to help (one of them unexpectedly which was nice.)

We moved up the OSB sheets before putting up the wall.  I didn’t want to have to carry it all up and used a bobcat to raise it up.  


I built the walls on the second floor and attached a few pieces of sheathing which overhung the bottom of the walls.  I got this idea from the NYW when Norm made his potting shed.  We stood the walls up and attached them to the sill plate.  It worked pretty well. 



After the first wall was up, we just worked down the line.  Made some progress.  


The ridge beam, which will be two 2×10 boards sandwiched together, will be supported by the masonry on the ends.  Today, I chipped out and then cut some of the brick at the peaks.  There will be about 4 inches of support at the ends and a mid support wall for the ridge beam.  I used some concrete to level off the end supports.  I’ll let it dry, then put a piece of pressure treated lumber on it and the ridge beam on that.  But that’ll be Weds.  

Hope you all have a good day.  Thanks for reading.



2 thoughts on “Dormer Addition

  1. Man, that looks like a ton of work. 🙂 I saw that episode of NYW. Norm made it look easy.

    I am getting my siding replaced right now, but I am doing zero of the work. I have a full size construction dumpster in my driveway right now.

    Good luck with it all.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s