Finally, some glue up. I glued the back slats/posts.
There was a knot in the wood where one of the mortises was made. Almost completely hidden. So, I used epoxy to take up the extra space rather than wood glue. Put painter’s tape on the adjacent wood which I removed after a few minutes…epoxy can be great to connect a joint, but get it where you don’t want it and it’s a real pain.
Drilled holes in back legs for the 3/8 in pegs. Test fit the back to determine where to place wooden bar that will extend from one arm to the other. There will be 3 points to adjust the bar and angle of the back depending on if you have guests, or if you’ve just finished Thanksgiving dinner and need a little snooze.
Drilled holes in the bottom of all the back posts to accept the 3/8 in pegs.
Did a lot of sanding yesterday. I sanded all the back slats and back posts. Also, rounded over the tops and bottoms of the back posts at the spindle sander.
Took a tip from Norm Abrams and used a portion of a ogee bit at the router table and eased all the edges.
Dry fit one of backs together. I just set it on the back for the picture.
I made the tenons on the back slats same as the other tenons everywhere else.
On some of the plans I found, some of them did bent laminations or steam bent the back slats. But, one said that with 4 in thick cushions, there was no added benefit to bending them…I went with this suggestion…yes, it was easier and I’ll let you know how it feels after the cushions are in place.
Made 1/4 in mortises in the posts for the seat back and started making tenons on the back slats.
Merry Christmas Everyone!